Thank you for your interest in joining the CSOYO! Information regarding membership and our upcoming auditions for the 2019-2020 season is listed below. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. Links to the online application and audition fee payment are at the bottom of this page. Audition materials are listed by instrument on separate pages under the AUDITIONS tab above. Please find your instrument and download and print the audition materials for the orchestra for which you are auditioning. If you have any questions please contact the CSOYO Manager at email@example.com. Thank you!
2019-2020 CSOYO Audition Requirements
- MEMBERSHIP: All current or past CSOYO members must re-audition every year.
- ORCHESTRA: CHOOSE THE APPROPRIATE ORCHESTRA:
The CSOYO has four orchestras. Students must audition for a specific orchestra based on their level of skill and experience. (Please consult with your teacher or director.)
Prelude (strings only): 1-2 years of experience
Etude (strings only): 2-3 years of experience
Philharmonic (all instruments): intermediate level
Symphony (all instruments): advanced level
Applicants who are not chosen for their selected orchestra may be considered for membership in a lower orchestra.
- AGE REQUIREMENTS:
SYMPHONY : 12 – 19 years of age
PHILHARMONIC: 10 – 19 years of age
(Students younger than 12 or 10 respectively who wish to audition for either Symphony or Philharmonic must submit a recommendation letter to the CSOYO manager from their private music teacher or school instrumental teacher prior to their audition).
ETUDE & PRELUDE: no minimum age, up to age 19
- SCHOOL PROGRAMS: Students must be members of their school instrumental music program, if one exists. Wind and percussion students must be in their school band, and string students must be in their school orchestra, if these programs are offered at their school. Non-participation in the school instrumental music program requires an approval letter submitted to the CSOYO Manager from the school band or orchestra director, prior to the student’s audition.
- MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION: must be completed online.
The Application Deadline has passed. To request a late application, please contact the CSOYO Manager at csoyo.chattanoogasymphony.org.
2.APPLICATION FEE: The non-refundable $20.00 audition fee can be paid online HERE or a check can be mailed to CSO Youth Orchestras, Attn: Auditions, 701 Broad Street, Chattanooga, TN 37402. Audition Fees must be received in our office by Friday, April 19, 2019
3. LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (If required – see above eligibility requirements)
4. COMPLETED AUDITION (See Below)
AUDITION DATES: May 16, 20, and 21, 2019
AUDITION TIMES: Between 5:30 – 9:30 PM
AUDITION LOCATION: First Baptist Church, 401 Gateway Avenue,
Chattanooga TN 37402
The online sign-up for Audition Times will open in late April (after April 19). Applicants will be invited via email to schedule an audition time on one of these nights once their application is complete. If you have not received an email by May 1, 2019, please contact the CSOYO Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2019-2020 audition requirements are different than in previous years. Please find your orchestra and instrument, and read the requirements carefully. The requirements will vary by orchestra.
STRINGS auditioning for SYMPHONY, please prepare:
- Scales- prepare the listed scales and a chromatic scale. The judge will select one or two scales and the chromatic scale at the audition.
- Excerpts- Prepare excerpts #1, 2, and 3
STRINGS auditioning for PHILHARMONIC, please prepare:
- Scales- prepare the listed scales and a chromatic scale. The judge will select one or two scales and the chromatic scale at the audition
- Excerpts- prepare excerpts #3 and 4
STRINGS auditioning for PRELUDE/ETUDE, please prepare
- Scales- prepare the listed scales and chromatic scale. The judge will select one or two scales and the chromatic scale at the audition.
- Excerpt- prepare excerpts #4 and #5
Strings auditioning for PRELUDE or ETUDE will have the same audition and will be placed in the appropriate orchestra based on their overall scores.
WOODWINDS and BRASS auditioning for SYMPHONY/PHILHARMONIC, please prepare:
- Scales- prepare the listed scales and chromatic scale. The judge will select one or two scales and chromatic at the audition
- Excerpts- prepare excerpts #1, 2 and 3
- Solo- select one from the list provided.
WOODWINDS and BRASS auditioning for SYMPHONY and PHILHARMONIC will have the same audition and will be placed in the appropriate orchestra based on their overall scores.
PERCUSSION auditioning for SYMPHONY/PHILHARMONIC, please prepare:
- Excerpts #1, #2, #3 and #4.
- A two-minute solo piece of your choice on xylophone. Please bring a copy of your piece to the audition for the judge.
Please submit membership applications and audition fees online, or to the CSO Office by Friday, April 19, 2019. Once you have completed your application and submitted the $20 audition fee, you will be invited to schedule an audition time online, starting in late April of 2019. You will receive an email with further instructions regarding how to schedule your audition time then.
A calendar of the 2019-2020 CSOYO season will also be made available to you so that you can verify any scheduling conflicts that may prevent you from participating in the CSOYO prior to auditions. The CSOYO rehearses on Monday evenings during the school year and all rehearsals, dress rehearsals (on Sundays), and concerts are mandatory. Please review the Attendance, Concert Dress and other policies found on our website prior to your audition.
Following auditions, applicants will be placed in an orchestra or on an alternate list, and will be notified by letter.
SYMPHONY/PHILHARMONIC: Symphony and Philharmonic Strings/Woodwinds/Brass members will be assigned to a section; however we will no longer assign chairs. We will use a “rotation” system, where members will switch chairs (part assignments for winds) every concert cycle. This practice will provide every student an opportunity to play at various chair placements in the orchestra.
ETUDE/PRELUDE: Chair placement for ETUDE/PRELUDE will be based on score rankings following auditions and may be re-evaluted during the season at the discretion of the conductor.
PRINCIPALS (Section leaders) for SYMPHONY/PHILHARMONIC:
There will be a separate Concertmaster/Principal audition held at the beginning of the season, on Monday, August 12, 2019. The information for these auditions will be sent to members over the summer. Principals have additional responsibilities within the section during the season and serve as student leaders.
Thank you for your interest in the Chattanooga Symphony & Opera Youth Orchestras. If you have any questions, please call the Chattanooga Symphony & Opera Youth Orchestras Manager, Stephanie Pearson, at 423-267-9011 or email at email@example.com.