The CSO Youth Orchestras’ Annual Concerto Competition will be held on Thursday, August 26, 2021, starting at 5:00 p.m. in the sanctuary of First Christian Church, 650 McCallie Avenue, Chattanooga, TN 37403.
Any CSOYO Member in the Symphony for the 2021-22 season who has been a CSOYO member (Symphony or Philharmonic) in good standing for at least one year prior to the competition is eligible to compete, and should adhere to the following guidelines:
- Members must perform one movement from a standard concerto, or solo/ensemble selection that has orchestral accompaniment parts available. The chosen piece must be submitted to the CSOYO Manager for approval by July 16, 2021. If you have questions about acceptable repertoire, please consult with your teachers/conductors. The CSO reserves the right to suggest a different piece for performance if your piece does not have orchestral parts available or if the rental or purchase fee for those parts is considered an unreasonable expense.
- If the CSO does not already own the orchestral accompaniment parts for the selected piece and they must be purchased or rented, the selected winners agree to pay half the cost to rent or purchase the orchestral parts for any amount over $500. Purchased music will remain the property of the CSO. The CSOYO Manager can help Members determine the cost of rental or purchase once their selection is submitted for approval.
- The chosen selection should be no longer than 10 minutes.
- Members must audition on the instrument that they play in the CSOYO, and they must audition with the piece of music that they will perform (if selected as a winner). Please note that you will be judged on how well you play your chosen repertoire, and not necessarily by how difficult your repertoire is.
- Students should furnish five printed copies of their selection (including accompaniment) for the judges on the day of the competition.
It is highly recommended that the student audition with a piano accompanist. Students are responsible for providing their own accompanist and for ensuring the accompanist know the time and location of the audition. If you need recommendations for an accompanist, please email the CSOYO Manager at email@example.com.
Audition times and instructions will be sent via email to all Members who apply using the email on the Concerto competition application. Auditions will take place IN PERSON in the Sanctuary at First Christian Church. A warm-up time will be scheduled prior to each audition.
One winner and one runner-up are chosen. The winner will be featured during the current concert season on a CSOYO concert, and other performance opportunities may be offered by the CSO. The runner-up will also be featured on a CSOYO concert. A student can be both winner and runner-up one time ONLY. Based on performance standards, judges reserve the right not to declare a winner and/or runner-up.
THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS FRIDAY, JULY 16, 2021. All applications must be received at the CSO office prior to or on this date. Applications can be mailed or delivered in person to the CSO Office at 736 Georgia Avenue, Suite 100, Chattanooga, TN 37402. Please note that summer office hours are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM. Late applications will not be accepted. The audition schedule will be emailed out no later than Monday, August 22, 2021.
Complete and submit to CSOYO Manager by Friday, July 16, 2021. Thank you.